A place where day visitors can satisfy their curiosity and get a taste of Auroville.
The Auroville Visitors Centre (VC) is a complex of buildings specially designed to answer to the needs of casual day visitors and more interested guests alike. It was constructed in 1988 with grants from HUDCO and the Foundation for World Education and has become well-known for its architecture and energy-saving construction materials. It is located in Auroville's International Zone between Bharat Nivas and Edayanchavadi village.
From the VC a shaded 10-12 minute walk leads to the Viewing Point in the Matrimandir area. For those who need motorised transport, shuttles are available.
- provides first-hand, personalized information on Auroville. Reception staff are equipped to answer queries in English and other Indian languages.
- stocks brochures, leaflets, books and videos on Auroville in different languages.
- gives a visual tour of the different aspects of Auroville life, community and its work through its Photo Exhibition space.
- provides video shows -- regular ‘Introduction to Auroville’ and ‘Introduction to Matrimandir’ videos in English or Tamil, with the possibility of other languages in sub-titled form.
- features the original rosewood model of the Matrimandir and the Gardens, in its Matrimandir Reception and Exhibition Space.
- Issues passes to Matrimandir Viewing Point.
The Information Service is open from 9am - 1pm & 2 - 5.30pm every weekday, and from 10 - 12pm & 2 - 5.30pm on Sundays. Ph. 0413-2622239
Guest House Booking Service
Offers guidance and help with guest accommodation in Auroville.
Display and sell a wide range of Auroville handicrafts such as incense, clothing, tableware, jewellery, furnishings, aromatherapy etc. They also stock a variety of organic herbal syrups, dried fruits, and cereal products made in Auroville.
- La Boutique d'Auroville: Ph. 0413-2622150
- Mira Boutique: Ph. 0413-2623389
- Kalki Boutique: Ph. 0413-2623450
- Right Path Café: open for food and refreshments (8.00am-9.30pm daily, Mondays closing 5pm. Ph. 0413-2622248
- Le Zephyr: a social space and cost-price eatery, open 6pm to 10.30pm. Closed on Mondays
- Dreamers' Café: open for food and refreshments from 8.30am - 9.30pm every day (Sunday evening closing time: 6pm)
Hosts publications on integral yoga, Indian culture and different aspects of Auroville from design to wildlife, as well as literary and other compilations by a range of Aurovilian authors. Open 10 - 1pm and 2 - 5.30pm (closed on Sundays) Ph. 0413-2622302
International Zone Exhibition
An open air exhibition on the International Zone of Auroville. It conveys the international dimensions of Auroville, presents the facilities, activities and institutions of the International Zone and the being work done by the National Pavilions.
Shaded picnic area cum kiosk
Sells small handicrafts items and refreshments, open everyday 9am to 5.30pm including Sundays.
Aquadyn mineral water
Aquadyn (a product of Auroville) provides free dynamised drinking water for visitors, villagers and Aurovilians.
Pick up and Drop Shuttle Service, per passenger fares. Daily 9.30am-6.00pm and now available Fri-Sat-Sun evenings up to 9.30pm.
With sitting-out and picnic area open 10am-5.30pm daily, Ph. 0413-2623283. The kiosk also has an STD / ISD telephone facility and cycle hire facility.
Bicycle for hire: available from the kiosk
For entertainment evenings (theatre, music/dance performances) and other special events happening at VC, see the notice board at the Centre and at other locations around Auroville, or the weekly News & Notes.