Visitors and guests should bear in mind that the Matrimandir is not a ‘tourist’ site; it is a place for individual silent concentration. A place which should be visited in an appropriate physical and mental state.
Visits to Matrimandir are free of cost. Bookings for passes to Matrimandir cannot be done by agents, guides or tour operators.
General information on the Matrimandir can be obtained every day at the Information Desk at the Visitors Centre, 9.00 am-1.00 pm and 1.30 pm–5.00 pm. This includes an introductory video on the Matrimandir offered in various languages.
To see Matrimandir from outside
The Matrimandir Viewing Point, south of the Park of Unity, is a raised garden area which offers visitors a beautiful view of the Matrimandir and its surroundings.
Passes for the Matrimandir Viewing Point can be obtained for free at Auroville's Visitors' Centre, after watching a short introductory video on the Matrimandir.
Timing for issuing of Passes at the Visitors' Centre:
- Monday to Saturday - 9 am to 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm to 4.30 pm
Opening hours of the Matrimandir Viewing Point:
- Sunday - 9.30 am to 1 pm only, afternoon closed.
- Monday to Saturday - 9.30 am to 5.00 pm
- Sunday - 9.30 to 1.30 pm only, afternoon closed.
Way to the Matrimandir Viewing Point: A shaded 10-12 minute walk leads from the Visitors' Centre to the Viewing Point. A free electric shuttle service is available for those who may find it difficult to walk the approx. 1 km distance each way. Free bus service is available for the return journey from the Viewing Point to the Visitors Centre for all those who wish to avail of it.
First visit to the Matrimandir Inner Chamber
- Prior booking is required to access the Matrimandir for concentration at least a day in advance.
- All bookings are accepted on an individual basis and only in person; (e-mail or telephone booking are not available for first-time visitors for concentration).
- There are no group bookings available.
- Bookings are always made for the following or first free day, and are accepted only up to a week in advance.
- An introduction to Matrimandir is provided for all first-time visitors who book for a concentration. An explanation is given on the Matrimandir and its significance, followed by a concentration in the Inner Chamber for 10 to 15 minutes.
Booking must be made in person at the Visitors Centre, any day except Tuesday between 10 and 11 am or 2 and 3 pm, after seeing the 10 minute introductory video called "Matrimandir".
Visitors who have previously concentrated in the Matrimandir
The following conditions apply to regular visitors for concentration and to those who have already attended the introductory visit for concentration in the Matrimandir (see above).
Advance booking is required for every concentration in the Inner Chamber or Petal Meditation Rooms. A booking may be made:
- by calling (0413) 2622204 between 10 and 11.30 am any day except Tuesday or
- by email to email@example.com from 3 days in advance up to 7 days in advance. Confirmation of such bookings will be done by return mail with booking numbers and other details.
Concentration time in the Inner Chamber
- 9.35 to 10.05 am.
- Last entry allowed into the Inner Chamber: 9.45 am.
Concentration time in one of the Petal Meditation Rooms
- 9.30 to 10.45 am
- The 12 meditation rooms are normally open all at the same time, but occasionally only a few may be open on a particular day.
- Passes are issued for only one room per visit.
The Matrimandir Access Policy is based on the Mother's guidelines.
- Permission is granted to those who have seen the videos and exhibitions on Auroville and the Matrimandir in order to have an understanding of the project and the Mother's vision of it. This may be done by making an initial visit to the Visitors Centre of Auroville.
- Requests are attended to in the order of receiving them, and can be made up to seven days in advance. The number of places is limited.
- On the day of appointment, those with a booking have to reach the Visitors Centre no later than 9 am, from where they will be transported to the Matrimandir by one of the Auroville electric shuttles.
- Passes for concentration will be issued at the Visitors Centre on the day of appointment, and shortly before the departure to Matrimandir with the shuttle.
- Bags, cameras and cell phones etc., are not allowed within the Park of Unity (the Matrimandir Gardens ) Visitors may either make their own arrangement for leaving their belongings behind, or can deposit them at the Access Office of the Matrimandir. However, Matrimandir Management will not be responsible for damage to or loss of items deposited at the Access Office. Cell phones have to be switched off before depositing.
- Visitors are advised not to bring valuables with them.
- Photographs may be taken only from a designated area outside the Park of Unity.
- Media persons wanting to take photos/films must obtain advance permission from:
- Cleanliness: the cooperation of all is requested to keep the Matrimandir and its twelve Petal rooms in immaculate condition.
Touching any surface inside the structures is to be avoided. Cleanliness of body and garments is indispensable.
- Children below 10 are not allowed inside the Park of Unity and the Matrimandir and will be asked to stay back at the Visitors Centre with a family member.
- Absolute silence is required inside the Matrimandir and the 12 meditation rooms in the Petals, around the ‘Lotus Pond' below the Matrimandir, and in the area under the Banyan Tree. Kindly help us maintain the atmosphere at the highest level.
- In case of rain or if the pathways and Garden areas are too muddy, the Matrimandir will be closed and all bookings for the day will be cancelled.
- All those who have booked their visit for concentration are expected to reach the Auroville Visitors' Centre gate no later than 9 am on the day of appointment.
- Visitors are expected to park their vehicles at the Visitors' Centre Parking and avail themselves of the free shuttle service provided.
- The last shuttle back from the Matrimandir to the Visitors' Centre is at about 11.30 am.
- Please note that it is not possible to accommodate late comers.
- Matrimandir reserves the right to refuse entry, cancel a visit or request a person to leave the Park of Unity on account of being under the influence of alcohol, bringing a person under age, making unauthorized audio, video or photographic recordings, or behaving in a manner which does not correspond with the above guidelines or is incompatible with the ideals and spirit of Matrimandir and Auroville.
- Matrimandir management may modify the above timing and procedures without prior notice. For up to date information on Auroville and the Matrimandir, kindly visit this website.