Ashtanga Yoga is a method of yoga that involves synchronizing breath with movement [vinyasa], a focused gaze [dristi] and internal locks [bandahs]. The result is a dynamic and challenging sequence of postures that flow one after the other, not unlike a dance. This practice produces intense internal heat and a profuse sweat that purifies and strengthens the body, resulting in a sense of balance, grounding and centeredness.
The discipline finds its natural place within the context of Sri Aurobindo's Integral Yoga, as practiced in Auroville. "The body is not to the Hatha Yogin a mere mass of living matter, but a mystical bridge between the spiritual and the physical being." (Synthesis of Yoga , Ch. XXVII)
Ashtanga Yoga has been taught for the last 70 years by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, the internationally known and respected yoga master from Mysore , along with his grandson R.Sharath in more recent years. Ashtanga has been practiced throughout the world for the last forty years by thousands of people, thanks to Jois and the many great teachers whom he has trained.
Mysore Style Classes
The Ashtanga sequences are traditionally practiced daily, and students are taught individually within the class setting. Slowly, posture-by-posture, they learn the method and series and become progressively more autonomous in their own practice. The teacher facilitates that process through both verbal and intelligent ‘hands-on' adjustments. Classes are given in the traditional style taught at the Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute (KPJAYI) in Mysore , India .
Classes are happening by appointment at the Ashtanga Yoga Auroville
* Yoga Sutra chanting classes are available upon request.
Tamil Nadu, India
Getting to yoga classes
1) When you are facing the Auroville Bakery, look for the sign that says "Auromodele," located 10 meters to the right along the bakery`s brick wall.
2) Head in the direction of Auromodele by passing under the huge tamarind trees. Stay on the dirt road, keeping the big, mud wall on your left-hand side.
3) Take the first left after about 500 meters from the entrance of Auromodele. You will soon pass through a light blue gate.
4) Stay on this road, which will become increasingly narrow and windy until you reach the sign that says "Ashtanga Yoga Auroville." The distance from the light blue gate to the Ashtanga Yoga Auroville is about 500 meters.
5) Park inside the gate. The shala is located upstairs at the end of the brick path.
For more information:
home: +91(413) 2623332
mobile: +91 9443085323