The Governing Board consists of seven members to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst persons who have,
rendered valuable service to Auroville;
dedicated themselves to the ideals of life-long education synthesis of material and spiritual researches or human unity;
contributed significantly in activities that are being pursued or are envisaged to be promoted in Auroville, including activities relating to the environment, afforestation, arts and crafts, industry, agriculture, humanities, sciences and integral yoga;
and of two representatives of the Central Government itself.
The members, who do not live in Auroville, hold office for a period of 4 years. The Governing Board meets at least twice a year in Auroville.
The general management of the affairs of the Foundation is vested in the Governing Board. Its task is to promote the ideals of Auroville, to review and approve basic policies and programmes, to secure the proper management of all properties, to prepare the master plan and co-ordinate fundraising. Most of these functions are executed in consultation with the Residents' Assembly.
The present members
The Central Government, vide Ministry of Human Resource Development’s notification No.F.27-9/2012-UU dated 29 October 2012, and dated 19 February 2013, nominated the 9-member Governing Board including its Chairman for a third term of four years with the following members:
Dr. Karan Singh
Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) & President, Indian Council for Cultural Relations
Dr Aster Mira Patel
Member, The Residents’ Assembly, Auroville Foundation, Auroville
Shri Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi
Director, Vastu Shilpa Foundation, Ahmedabad
Dr. Malini Parthasarathy
Director, The Hindu Centre for Politics and Public Policy
Dr Mallika Sarabhai
Director, Darpana Academy of Performing Arts, Ahmedabad
Ms Ameeta Mehra
Director, The Gnostic Centre, Gurgaon
Shri Y.S.V.S Murthy (new member Notified on 19.02.2013)
Secretary, Sri Aurobindo Centre, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
Shri Yogendra Tripathi
Joint Secretary & Financial Adviser, Ministry of Human Resource Development
Shri Amit Khare
Joint Secretary, UNESCO, Ministry of Human Resource Development
The Central Government conferred on Dr Karan Singh the personal rank of Cabinet Minister for the period he holds the office of Chairman.
Former members include:
- Mr. Gajapati Maharaja Dibyasingha Deb, Maharaja of Puri;
- Dr. M.S. Swaminathan (ex-chairman), Chairman M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation;
- Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan, former Academic Director of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts;
- Mrs. Bilkees Latif, Chairman Andra Pradesh Social Welfare Board;
- Mr. Ajoy Bagchi, Director People's Commission on Environment and Development (PCED);
- Mr. N. Krishnan, former member of the executive board of UNESCO;
- Sri Keshav Desiraju, I.A.S., Joint Secretary (UNESCO), Ministry of HRD, GoI, joined the Board in the beginning of 2006.
- Late Prof. V. Madhusudan Reddy, Chairman of the Institute of Future Studies;
- Mrs. Shantadevi Malwad, writer;
- Late Mr. Roger Anger (Chief Architect of Auroville);
- Mrs. Aster Patel, resident member of Auroville;
- Lt. Gen. (retd.) Ashok Chatterjee, resident member of Auroville.
- Representatives of the Central Government have included
- Mr. Sudeep Bannerjee;
- Mr. S.R. Tayal;
- Mr. Sudhir Nath.
- Mr. Kireet Joshi (ex-chairman),former Registrar Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education, Chairman Indian Council for Philosophical Research;
- Dr. D.P. Chattopadhyaya, Chairman Centre of Studies of Civilisations, and former Union Cabinet Minister;
- Dr. L.M. Singhvi, MP, eminent jurist and member of Indian Parliament, former Indian High Commissioner in the UK;
- Dr. Subhash C. Kashyap, former Cabinet Secretary Government of India;
- Shri V.K. Pipersenia, IAS, Joint Secretary & Financial Adviser, Dept of Secondary Education and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development;
- Shri C. Balakrishnan, IAS, Joint Secretary, (Planning & UNESCO) Dept of Secondary Education and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development;
- Mrs. Jyothi Madhok;
- Prof. Meera Srivastava.